Winner - 'Like a melody' by Quinn, Alexia & Mason.
As chosen by our judge - Mr Steve Millington
We have a good history of song writing within our school. Songs written by current and past pupils have come 1st and 2nd in local and national competitions. I would like to give more children the opportunity to write and develop their song writing skills and this competition aims to do just that.
I've place the rules below. You can always email me if you have further questions: email@example.com
If you're looking for inspiration, look at the many examples of great songs composed here over the past few years - just scroll down the music page.
Westbrook Old Hall Song Writing Competition
1) This competition is for children who attend Westbrook Old Hall Primary school and are currently in year 3, 4, 5 or 6.
2) Songs may be composed individually or as a group.
3) The lyrics and melody must be the work of the children without any support from parents, carers or friends.
4) There is no need for an accompaniment/backing - just the vocal is fine.
5) Family may help with a backing if desired but no support with melody or lyrics as these two aspects are what make up the copyright in a song.
6) Use a mobile phone, voice recorder app, to record the vocal/performance and email it to Mr Oates at firstname.lastname@example.org before 15/12/17
7) Email the lyrics for the song to Mr Oates also.
8) Songs may follow any structure but the standard - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus may be a good place to start.
9) Write your chorus first, make it catchy. Then write your verses, they should explain what the chorus is about. Finally create your bridge (middle eight) section, this looks at the theme of the song from a different view. What if?
10) The copyright of the songs and sound recording emailed to Mr Oates will remain the property of the composer/parent.
11) Mr Oates will listen to all entries and select a group to go forward to the final judging.
12) The top songs will be displayed within this folder prior to final judging. Details about the judge/s will be available at a later date.
13) Children showing good promise as song writers will be invited to join the monthly song writing club.
14) The winning song will be recorded in school and entered into a national competition. The school will not exploit this recording apart from placing a clip on the music page of the school's website and entering it into the national competition. This sound recording will be the property of the school. The copyright of the song will always remain with the composer.
15) The winner will be given the opportunity to create a video for the song.
16) There will be a further prize for the winning song.